Mold and Mildew is a troublesome fungi that’s a nuisance to the homeowner and the foundation of the home itself; however, many are uneducated about how to detect if there is a mold infestation, or the seriousness of it. So today, we’ll be discussing the harmful effects of mold as well as a step by step process on how to safely remove it from the home.

 

Step 1: Educating yourself about Mold

Mold is a type of fungus that develops from tiny spores that remain afloat in the air. In order for it to grow, it needs two things – moisture and heat. For example, Toronto is notorious for their humidity and often have an increased amount of mould occurrences around spring time. To contrast, Edmonton is very well known for their summer heat and increased usage of water to cool off, so it’s not uncommon for mold to rapidly grow during this time. So if the microscopic spores land on a surface that has the two mentioned criteria (which most homes do), then they begin to grow rapidly.

However, not to worry, as most household items such as wipes and sprays are able to get rid of the fungus easily while they are still small. The problem occurs when the mold is left to flourish for a long period of time, accumulating more and more tiny spores until household items are unable to safely remove them. Meanwhile, the homeowners begin to feel the presence of the mould due to harmful effects they’re experiencing, such as, nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, eye irritation, or, in some cases, skin irritation. However, those who are immunocompromised or have chronic lung disease are even more at risk. Therefore, it is very important to thoroughly clean and ventilate one’s home, and get air quality testing done to check for interior mold.

Step 2: Removing the Mold

As we mentioned earlier, keeping your home clean and well ventilated can remove the surface mold easily, however, if you happen to have a large mold infestation within your ventilation system, walls, woodwork, etc, then you’re definitely going to need more help and take more precautions as it can be extremely toxic. Here are some things you can do to ensure your safety:

  • Make sure to wear a N-95 or P100 respirator so as not to inhale the harmful spores as well as the cleaning chemicals.
  • Wear old, yet covering clothing so you can easily discard it. As well as gloves and protective shoe wear.
  • Set up a fan to well ventilate the area being treated to prevent more mold from growing.
  • Turn off the furnace and air condition, and cover ducts and doors to contain the spores while working.
  • Keep the base of the wet/dry vacuum outside at all times.

Of course, if clearing the mold is outside of your expertise, then you can always contact your local mold removal company for their services. If you would like to find one near you then click here

Step 3: Prevention

To conclude, we’ve previously mentioned the two main factors that contribute to mold growth – moisture and heat – therefore controlling these two factors is the key to preventing minor and major mold growth. Ensure areas such as the kitchen, bathrooms, as well laundry rooms are well ventilated and continuously cleaned. Also, if needed, one can invest in mold-resistant paint and apply to areas well known to be moisture and heat bearing. You can find these at your local department or home and hardware stores.

Don’t Forget! Mould can be very toxic and handling it without proper training can be harmful, we highly suggesting consulting a company that offers a mold removal service before beginning any heavy work to remediate your home.

We can recommend you a few best SEO and web designing companies in case you are looking for a business website:

SEO Toronto-arkido web services
2403-Susquehanna court, Oakville
ON- L6H 5Y8
Ph: (416) 315-9983
Two Day Painters In Waukesha
Address: 1701 Pearl St Ste 2, Waukesha, WI 53186
Phone: +1 262-312-2182

Best SEO company:
SEO Chicago – eBizUniverse
233 S Wacker Dr #8400, Chicago, IL 60606
Call: 773-257-3249